The first thing you need to do is to establish exactly what it is you want to achieve and then devise a plan to that will enable you to reach that goal. Without a plan you are wandering in the dark. When you are working on the plan you need to think strategically about your business and your role in it and decide on the elements that will bring YOU more success. Then use your CRM as your vehicle to achieve those objectives.
Having established your strategic goal, there are a number of ways that you can use your CRM tactically to achieve it;
- Share your CRM with your entire team/company so that everyone has access to a common set of information
- Build your database - Need more contacts? Find out how to search the web and import data
- Set company/team standards for data entry and make sure that all data is entered Correctly, Consistently and Completely - otherwise it is GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out)
- Integrate your CRM with your email system so that all sent and received emails are logged into the database and can be easily found.
- Increase your reach by running regular email campaigns using MailChimp, Constant Contact or other email marketing software. Track your opens, clicks etc.
- Set up email and letter templates to automate your common responses
- Create Activities in your CRM directly from emails, allowing you to put all of the details of the email into the activity item
- Reschedule Activities in your Diary that have not been completed
- Monitor progress and customise your dashboards to display current status vs. objective results.
- Measure activity against a goal: #Calls, #Appointments made, #Emails, #Initial Sales, #Closed Activities, #New Contacts entered, #Opportunities Created, etc.
- Have sophisticated Groups that break down prospects and customers into categories that directly relate to marketing ex. prospects that never bought, customers within a product line that don't use another product that you sell etc.
- Have a defined communication plan for customers
- Take live calls using the software - do not write down notes and key them in later (you might consider getting a phone headset to leave both hands free to type)
- Run your day from the Task List in your CRM, so that you are working from a list and checking off Activities as you complete them.